Sunday, February 22, 2009

A missing feature in Facebook I finally succumbed and got my own Facebook account. The result was great (in regards to family matters). However, there is one thing I don't like about Facebook, you only have one presence or persona. Lets say you want to use your actual name and a real profile (like I'm not tall, handsome, and a genius), but I also like to segregate my personal from my business "friends". As far as I know, besides creating a bogus account, I can't do that in Facebook. My whole family now becomes accessible to people who really don't have any business asking my family members for friendship (in the Facebook way). There is a simple solution to this. Let people create aspects. These are personalities or concerns that one can use to reduce overlap. Thus, I can create a professional aspect and a family aspect, and these can have their own lists. Further, one can control what profile information or other content is shared by each aspect. This could conceivably even allow Facebook to encroach on LinkedIn social network. Ok, Facebook, if you use this you owe me, or at least offer me a job. I'm not handsome or a genuis, but am good looking and creative.

No comments: