Friday, February 20, 2009

The incredible headache of filing taxes

So I went to file a tax return online. I see that they offer the Free e-filer program. I click some links and am confronted by a warning page that I will be sent to an external company site. Wait a minute that sounds weird. Let me try again. I go the page where I can pick a company or have the site recommend a company. First I look at some of the company names. They look like those that appear on spam lists. Now I'm thinking why would a company offer a free service like this? Is it to collect info, altruistic, product sales, spyware, and so forth. Am I being too careful? Anyway, I filled out a paper form available as a PDF file and think this is not good; there should be a modern way of doing this. So I try the http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/wizard.jsp?ck link to get a recommendation. I fill out the form, hit submit and get: That is too funny. I think I'll stick to paper for now.

No comments: